- Students will understand basic video production techniques
- Students will understand what a documentary is and how it can be used
- Students will be able to use the features and tools in WeVideo to create quality video projects
- Students will be able to capture and edit video for use in various multimedia projects
- Students will be able to use storyboards as a planning tool for their projects
Video Production Basics: Exploration
Assemble your team. Explore the links below in groups (up to four people). Find five important tips/techniques/rules that everyone should know before we start shooting videos. Add this information (links, videos, etc.) to the collaborative page below. Your group will explain to the class the information you added. Everyone needs to participate. Group members not participating will be 'voted off the island'.
Add your information to this collaborative page
Documentaries tell a real world story. They can be used to persuade, educate, inform, and show appreciation. Look at these examples. In class we will watch a documentary. While you watch, write down your observations. Here is a document with documentary choices.
To create a documentary you should be informed on the issues you're addressing. This will require some research. Also, to get the best results during shooting, a little planning is required. Creating and using a storyboard is a great planning tool.
What are guidelines you should follow when making a documentary?
*Holding your camera
Create your own mini documentary using this rubric. CHANGE POINTS
Planning Document Template & Examples:
- Mini Documentary Planning Document - Template to use
- The Internet Is Not The Enemy - Good breakdown of roles
- Crosby-Ironton High School Education - Good storyboard
This next project will turn the spotlight on yourself. You will create a video that showcases a typical day in your life. In class we will look at some example videos.
*Holding your camera
Create a video that walks us through your day using this rubric.
- Students will understand what a Public Service Announcement (PSA) is and how it can be used/created
- Students will be able to use iPads and various apps to create quality multimedia projects
Tablets, specifically iPads, are great multimedia tools. Our class would be incomplete without using them. The next few projects will focus on creating and editing video using iPads.
Public service announcements are short audio or video messages that are aimed at serving the 'greater good'. These messages typically raise awareness and educate audiences about various social issues. In class we will cover this link that provides general information about PSA's and strategies to use. Pay attention to the sections on how to write a PSA and key points to remember. This link has many examples about various topics.
In class we will discuss how to use iMovie to edit video on the iPads. You can find help using these links and by searching for 'imovie ios tutorial'. Here are some of the things we'll look at in class:
- Getting help in iMovie
- 'Spoke' project settings & theme
- Adding media
- Basic editing - videos, images, & audio
- Trimming & advanced options for each
- Detaching audio
- Recording in iMovie
- Audio visual toggle
Complete this PSA Planning Guide and create a storyboard using Storyboard That. AFTER you've finished planning and talked with me about your project, shoot and edit your PSA using this rubric. Each group member will need to take on a role or responsibility. Videos will need to be shot in school unless you have access to an IOS device, so plan ahead.
Hall of Fame:
- Students will understand general marketing concepts and apply those in their commercials
The ability to successfully market a product may be the most important aspect of a business. One of my college professors said that you can have the best product in the world, but if you can't market it, you won't be successful. In class we will watch a video about marketing and discuss various marketing concepts.
You can base your commercial on any product or service. Here is a list that might help you out. If you choose to market a product, you will need to create it or bring it in.
In class we will look at some of the tools & options in Adobe Premiere Elements. You can find help using this link and by searching for 'adobe premiere elements tutorial'.
Complete this Commercial Planning Guide & Marketing sheet and create a storyboard using Storyboard That. AFTER you've finished planning and talked with me about your project, shoot and edit your commercial using this rubric. Each group member will need to take on a role or responsibility.